Thursday, June 25, 2009

Farewell to the Queer-King of Pop: Michael Jackass err Jackson

Okay, I got too rough with the blog title...

He was famous, weird and controversial at the very least.

All throughout the 80's, his songs dominated the air waves (but of course this is just some flimsy BS generalization when there are other billboard topnotchers with their own army of fans like Madonna during that time).

Anyway, I was born in the 80's, when the "moonwalk" was not something that was attributed to Neil Armstrong(who's he? The man who allegedly took the great leap of mankind with a single step on the moon). Michael Jackson was the "moonwalker" and not an astronaut from NASA.

Performers, especially here in this little part of the world, wanted to have the same intensity and energy and tried to become all-around performers of their own right(yeah, right). A local performer here, Gary Valenciano have some fans who have cited that their idol have started his career independently and that his career was not influenced by Jackson's(Yeah right, a kid with feverish energitic dancing in 80's? Come on!)

And now that news will be spreading fiercely both in the local and international scenes, there would be plenty of I-miss-him coverage. I imagine the local news in this country would cover celebrities saying stuff they dont even know about and would go about pretending like they are grateful to the King of Pop (you know the drill).

------------

I can't help remembering one of my highschool buddies who was such a fan of Michael Jackson that he would passionately defend his idol when somebody talks about the dark rumors (homo, pedophile, alien, the stuff). By passionately, I mean, beating the crap out of "violators".

Now that Jackson's gone, I can recall reading something about one of the lines of his song, "They Don't Care About Us"...

The line was "Jew me Sue Me
". In those days before the golden age of blogging, songs were embedded with hidden meanings and intents, some of them less "hidden" than others, they still are , but now, people primarily rely on reading blogs for those "hidden meanings and intents".

It was a Reader's Digest article by the way(please google for it. No need to put bibliographic references in this post when there are many search engines who can verify).

Jackson was reportedly referring to the family(primarily the father) who filed a lawsuit against him. The lawsuit was child-sexual-harrasment related(again, Im not copyrighting nor copy-pasting in this post since most of my blogs are purely from my memory and my from my wicked imagination - I could be wrong but I highly doubt that). It was also specified there that Jackson had the PR advantage to that case since people had to read to know the side of the "victim's" family while alot more people can just hear and watch Jackson's side of it just by watching Oprah(whoohooo! Oprah again, I better make that a "tag" here in my blog).

Jackson said something like "any kid can come into my room". When in fact, as his detractors claim, his entire house is packed with security cameras and other security measures that virtually no one with unauthorized access can gain entry into.

------------

Okay, enough about the Reader's Digest article and back to my highschool memories...

Back in highschool, my friend also played "Michael Jackson" in an interview-drama-play and audience would act as reporters. I can still remember my question:

"You're the King of Pop and you married the daughter of the King of Rock, why?"

Of course it was a dumb question, I just liked the ring of it.

------------

Despite of all the scandals, Jackson would be remembered for his songs that seemed to bridge the "black" and "white" boundaries. His "Black or White" music video, in fact, was something about the entire human race and the abandonment of color boundaries.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVoJ6OO6lR4



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWOBHVPvi-s




It's sad that Jackson didn't get to be awarded a Nobel Peace Prize unlike Bono of U2 (oh well, better luck time in the next life). In his lifetime, Michael Jackson made plenty of contribution to the plight of world peace, humanitarian causes and other pressing world problems.

Okay, okay. Some people might be thinking of adding the phrase ".. by adding to them." to the previous paragraph but hey whatever works.

Even after his death, Michael Jackson will continue to be a source of entertainment for millions of people (and I say this with both respect and with pun intended).


No comments:

My Bookshelf

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog

Blog Archive