Sunday, September 06, 2009

Nobility of Professions.

Some professions have nice little ring to their namesAnd the corresponding professionals who practice such professions are the ring-bearers:

"I'm a doctor. I save lives"

"I'm a journalist. I'm a vanguard of Truth"

"I'm a lawyer. I'm a protector of Justice and the oppressed"

"I'm a mayor. I'm a Public Servant. I help my fellow citizens"

"I'm a priest. I help people get in touch with God"


These professions have all the BS(b*llsh!t) already packaged. No advertisements are needed. People have come to regard people with such titles as being more responsible and more trustworthy than they truly are.

Truth to be told there are thousands of dim-witted medical doctors out there, bowing their heads to their more dim-witted supervising doctors and just prescribing any medicine recommended by the pharmaceutical companies. There are also lots of enterprising journalists telling only the stories of their favored side. The lawyers, are no exceptions, it's not uncommon to hear stories about that "dumb lawyer". And let us not get started about the public servants and the priestly folks.

Most professions are only treated as MEANS OF LIVELIHOOD and EMPLOYMENT and nothing more. There is nothing noble about that.

Here in this part of the world, titles are almost everything. Facade and masks.

My parents were right, after all, titles do matter. It may not be fair, but it's the reality.

But on a personal level, I will always be me. If ever the past is rewritten, I will always be a maverick among my peers and will always be different. But that would mean, I'd be dead by now if I were a journalist or probably has been ostracized by my colleagues if I were a medical doctor or a lawyer.

Even in the corporate software development world, I have been considered talented but deviant and strange. But as the years passed...

I'm no longer that. I'm just deviant and strange now .

Sigh.

But if there was a choice to be made in a thousand ground hog days... I wish to be a doctor... I'll be a true savior of lives instead of a programmer who saves his boss's ass.

"I saved a life" sounds and feels better
than "I saved my boss' ass"

Amen.

1 comment:

analog resonance said...
This comment has been removed by the author.

My Bookshelf

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog

Blog Archive